Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Finally, our final interview date

We have an appointment this afternoon to do the final interview to complete the adoption process, or at least the last leg of the process before we can come.... This is a big relief.

Austin has settled in quite nicely. The room is small, but more like home with a kitchen. He has discovered the refrigerator and has learned how to say more cheese and more milk....we can understand him anyway. He seems to pick up a few new words everyday. He still tells us he needs to potty in Vietnamese and we understand him so it works fine. I wish I knew what else he was saying. We have learned two different tones...one excited play tone and one "I need something" tone. We tell him to show us and he can usually take us to what he wants.

We can't wait to get him home and let him play in the back yard. It is difficult trying to keep a very active and inquisitive little boy in such a small space. We are using the outdoor play area, but still cautious because of the mosquitoes.

He loves bath time and plays and plays. I think if the water stayed warm, he would never come out. He doesn't seem to have much interest in TV or cartoons. We found one educational kid's program that kept his interest for about 15 minutes. I think there is so much new stuff that he keeps stimulated exploring.

We ate at a nice hotel restaurant yesterday, which was very good...little things like a good meal really make you feel grateful. A little change in perspective. We had cheesecake for dessert and his Daddy did not get his fair share because the little guy was IN LOVE with it!

He is becoming a little more discriminate in his eating. I am thinking he is not going to be a big meat eater. I am not sure how much meat he had in his diet before so he may like it more as he adjusts to it. He seems to like more noodles and bread...and cheese and ice cream. He hasn't tasted his Daddy's grilled hamburgers yet so we'll see.

We haven't been out exploring much since we been in Hanoi. We are going to move to a new hotel tomorrow I think. We will get INet service to keep in touch better and have better access to the city. Really been tied to the hotel anyways with the meetings and nap time. The nap thing in the middle of the day sure puts a kink into the plans. I never really thought about it before...heck there are a ton of things I didn't think of before. Somebody should write a PRACTACLE Dos and Don'ts for toddlers. Bill and I are constantly deferring to each other..you think that was right/wrong...good thing is we can talk openly because he doesn't understand us. He seems very happy so I am taking that as a good sign:)

6 comments:

Tricia and Kirk said...

Your driver got pulled over by the police? While being in Vietnam and experiencing the traffic, Tricia and I discussed what it would take to get pulled over? It must have been really bad…how else could a police officer decide who to pull over and who to let go and their way.

It sure sounds like you are having the time of your life. Tricia and I look forward to meeting you all somewhere down the line. You are in our prayers.

Kirk and Tricia Woodliff
Muskogee, Oklahoma

Helen said...

I wrote you a whole bunch this morning twice. I have lost it all because its saying my password is wrong. I'll see if it works this time...

Helen said...

It worked this time. Why can't you guys come home if all the adoption processes have been completed. It looks like Austin is going to fit in just fine with all my other smart & beautiful grand kids. I can hardly wait to see him. Love you all. Mom/Granny

Nana Lynn said...

Hey ALL! Honey, someone could write the dos & dont's of a toddler but it wouldn't pertain to all toddlers because they are all so different. Unfortuately, there are no instruction manuals when you become parents! You only do what you feel is best & hope that the foundtion that you lay sticks somewhere! :) I am sure that Austin will be fine. What I am going to love is to see just how many words you have to eat Little Momma! HA!

Glad all is going well! And you are 1/2 way thru the second week! You will be home very soon!

Love to you all! Love, Nana Lynn

jen e. said...

I've long since decided that parenting is all about wondering if you're doing this or that wrong or right and eating all the great parenting words you said prior to having children. It's quite the humbling experience, but more rewarding than anything else.

It sounds like he couldn't be adjusting better. That's so wonderful. I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves and are able to have this time to bond (but I'm anxious for you all to get home, too!).

Love you,
Jenny

karen said...

I am so glad that things are going smoothly for you. I can't wait to meet Austin. Ben keeps telling the kids they will get to teach Austin new games and they are excited.
Parenting is fun at times and challenging. I'm sure you and Bill will do just fine.